Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Monteverde

Okay....time to take a break from my presentation/essay/final exam studying to post about last weekend. I have been here almost a month and I can definitely say that Monteverde is my favorite place. Possibly my favorite in the world. It's a rain/cloud forest about 5 hours north of San José. It didn't rain once while we were there, though. I don't even know how to describe it, it was so surreal. We stayed in this amazing hotel with the buildings staggered on a steep, forested mountainside. From my balcony, I could see all the way to the peninsula on the Pacific side. We were literally above the clouds.

Hydrangeas were everywhere at our hotel

We took two excursions while in Monteverde. One was the zip-lining/canopy tour. Obviously, that was a blast, with 15 different zip lines, a tarzan swing (a four-story tower, harness, and swiiiiing over the rain forest), and some great views. The last two zip lines were actually optional because they were so long, spanning a small valley. I actually got stuck before completing the last one...not enough speed. Sailing over the rainforest is one thing, but dangling 200 feet in the air with no momentum and another 100 yards to safety is not the most comforting sensation. It was really fun, though :)


Modeling our harnesses.

Zoom zoom!


Also, the town of Monteverde is cute. There's this great art gallery with handmade, unique pieces. Much more interesting than your typical souvenirs. I purchased a fused glass ring that many people have mistaken for amethyst. It is shaped like a dangerous cutting weapon, which is always a plus when it comes to jewelry. My friends and I had cocktails at this restaurant called "The Tree House". It's a restaurant/hotel centered around a giant tree. Pretty neat.

Above the town of Monteverde

Someone buy me this car!

Arriving at the Tree House Bar

Tequila Sunrises & BBCs (Banana, Baileys, Coconut)

We encountered two lemur-like creatures this weekend. One chased us (okay ran AT us) and then there was this one...inside our hotel building!

On Sunday, we took a hike through the cloud forest preserve. It was a really pleasant 2 hour hike, with lots of beautiful scenery. We didn't see many animals, though. I heard another group saw a sloth and a quetzal. There were also a TON of older (60+) travelers in Monteverde, including a large group of them on the hiking trail. I thought that was cool, as I hope to keep exploring forever.


Beautiful old tree


Obligatory rain forest shot


FUNGUS!

PS: I'm gonna do a little promoting for my friend Kennie P. She has been involved with some tremendous volunteer work at a women's shelter in Bellingham. Everyone PLEASE VOTE for her so she can win a scholarship and keep doing good in our community :)

http://www.serviceawards.org/applicant/115/sis_applicant.aspx?nid=115

Nature boy...on the lawn below our room :)

No comments: