Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bienvenidos!

Welcome to my blog, everyone! As y'all know, I'm studying abroad in San José, Costa Rica for three months. I won't have time to skype/email/call everybody as often as desired, so hopefully you can catch up with my business on here. I'll try to keep it PG since I have family and professors reading, as well. My first post is a long one, but they won't all be like this :)

SO, let me detail my journey. A 3 hour delay in Boise, a stressful flight from Seattle to Houston (a woman passed out in the bathroom and they had to have paramedics meet her when we landed), and some sleeping/delirious rolling around on the floor of the Houston airport with Ms. Jessica Turek, I FINALLY arrived in San José.

After we landed, met up with about 15 other people from our school and took a bus to meet our families. My host mother (my "mama Tica") is named Mildred, and I absolutely love her! Based on the profile I received, I thought they only had three kids....turns out they have six. One daughter is older, though, with two kids of her own. I will probably end up kidnapping one when I come back to the States because they're adorable. Anyway, my family has been so accommodating and wonderful. They made me "bocas" (these little pork tacos), this yummy veggie and rice casserole, and cerveza hehe. They're also very encouraging in regards to my Spanish-speaking, which is great.

The big event of the night was going to this festival that happens every year around the New Year in the Zapote neighborhood. Basically, picture an American state fair, but with 5 times the crowds and one third of the safety regulations. It was pretty fun, though. They made me go on this ridiculous ride called the "Tacada" or something. It gave me bruises and I'm pretty sure I will be sore in multiple places tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow... it's orientation and a potluck, so I better get some sleep, but I will post again soon! Here's some pictures:


Quite a proud statement...


Part of my family. From left to right: Elaine, Daniella, Janice, Mildred (my "mama Tica"), Edgar Jr. ("Coquín"), Mildred's grandson Christiano and granddaughter Eileen, y Janella. It has been SO hard to learn all their names.


Riding the bumper cars with "Coquín". Notice how the
spectators are practically standing on the floor of the ride.


Waiting for the bus, eating churros :)


San José has insane religious fanatics, too!

2 comments:

Mikey Larky said...

Okay, pictures are taking forever to load, but they will be coming soon!

Mama Larky said...

I love your blog, Michael! It will be so great to experience Costa Rica through your eyes. Your new Tico family looks nice. Can't wait to read more. Luvs, Mama