Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Face Like a Farmer

Sometimes, Costa Ricans can be very indirect when talking about their desires. When it comes to general perceptions and observations, though, they are blatantly direct. It can seem offensive to Americans, but they don't mean to be insulting; it's just their culture. The reason I say this is because of a particularly interesting conversation that happened today.

I just returned from spending the afternoon in downtown San José with a few friends. We were eating POPS ice cream (AMAZING.) in the National Theatre plaza, observing all the attractive people, homeless Nicaraguans, and horrendous fashions. This Tico popped up on the bench next to Jessica and started talking to us. He could speak a little English and obviously wanted to practice, even though we ended up speaking mostly Spanish. His name was Warner, like "Warner Brothers". Not a traditional Costa Rican name, right? According to him, it was a name his mom selected after drinking too many beers and watching a Warner Brothers movie while she was in the hospital giving birth to him. Well, Warner had lots of opinions to share with us. He rated us all on our Spanish-speaking abilities, how much we look like Ticos, and asked the general questions about what we were studying, etc. My favorite quotes:

To me: "You're from Idaho....I am not familiar with this pueblo, but you have the face of a farmer." WHAT does that mean?

To my friend Emily: "Maybe your Tico friend doesn't like you because he thinks you're a lesbian. Your shoes [a pair of Converse] are mostly lesbian shoes."

Basically, this was just a really hilarious and random encounter and he ended up talking to us for about an hour. While this guy wasn't really your typical Tico, it just shows how they are friendly and funny people...often with no verbal filter.

5 comments:

Aunt Steph said...

This is funny. What is a Tico? And is your friend really a lesbian or was the guy way off base?

Mikey Larky said...

A Tico/Tica is just a term that refers to a Costa Rican person. And no, haha, she isn't a lesbian, but apparently her shoes make her look like she is.

Mama Larky said...

I have been laughing out loud at this funny conversation. I have never thought of you looking like a farmer, Michael! In fact, I don't think I have ever seen you dirty. It sounds like you are having an enjoyable time figuring out some cultural differences. Sorry we missed your call--We were walking Lily.

The Schoonvelds said...

Ha, I love it! When I was in France a little girl told me I looked like a horse at a restaurant and her parents gently tried to explain it was b/c of my long face and hair. Hmmm...
Your weekend looks great, how fun! I also would like to be there snorkeling with a pina colada, and wearing Jessica's green dress. :)
Jamie

Mikey Larky said...

OF COURSE YOU WERE WALKING LILY, once again proving that she is an attention you-know-what! Just kidding, but it was good to talk to you tonight, mom.

And Jamie, that's funny! Foreign people say the strangest things...