Monday, January 10, 2011

And Baby Makes Three

The baby, being me. I'm not sure if I've mentioned before, but Jessica and I are in a class with only THREE students. It's a Latin American art and architecture class, taught in English. Attending a public university, I have never had a class that's so tiny! It's nice, though, because we have lots of time to just chat and the environment is really comfortable. The professor is really awesome, too. He teaches architecture in the regular Costa Rican classes, so he obviously knows a ton. We're going to take a lot of field trips in this class: this week is the art museum, and next week is the zoo!

I also just want to mention that I love my family here. They are so friendly and helpful all the time. They also prefer me to my house mate, which is kind of funny. His Boston accent and blunt manner seem to annoy them. We did have a very confusing situation, though, when discussing travel plans.

As a family, they want to take us to the beach. The problem is that they want to go for five days, but I can only miss one day of school each month or I will fail my classes. Obviously, I would rather reserve that one day for illness, personal travel, or a hangover (just kidding! I don't party on week nights.) So I suggested that Steven and I could just stay here while they vacation, which made them very uncomfortable. They don't think we can cook for ourselves or anything, probably because we're young and male.

Anyway, I said that I could skip a Friday, as long as I didn't have a test, but that would require me taking the bus there or back from the destination, since they would be staying for longer. After many conversations, and some obvious planning-related stress on my mama Tica's part, I think we found a solution. They will leave on a Wednesday, I will stay to take a test on Friday, and after my test, the uncle (who lives downstairs) and I will drive to meet the rest of the family at the beach. DO YOU KNOW HOW CONFUSING ALL THIS PLANNING WAS, ESPECIALLY IN SPANISH?! Oh, and my roommate, well he seems to have no interest in coming at all, so no one really knows what he will do that weekend. I think I'll explain my feelings more in a future post about culture shock/acceptance/American idots.

loves

PS Mom and Dad, my phone has been dead since this weekend, but I will call you guys as soon as my family finds the charger (which might take some pestering on my part).

No comments: