Saturday, February 12, 2011

This Past Week

AYYYY

So much to say! Here's what's happened in the last seven days:

Thursday:
-Class trip to Heredia. We visited the National University, the central square, and the market. We were supposed to investigate the city/province of Heredia.

Fountain in the central square.


Yep, definitely a Catholic church.


I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but this is frightening!


Chicken feet at the Heredia Market


Friday:
-45 minute presentation with Jessica & Emily. It went really well :)
-Jessica and I decided to reward ourselves afterwards. We went to Barrio Amón, this really cute (and clean) neighborhood with boutique hotels and cafés. Lunch at Café Mundo...super yummy! We ate bruschetta, salad (me), shrimp pasta (jessica), and chocolate cake. I also sipped a mojito as we sat on the veranda. Qué rico!
-First haircut experience in Spanish. I was a little anxious, but the end result was great. Well, the stylist tried to make me leave three inches of flimsy, deflated mullet in the back, but I told him NO way. It only cost $6, though, and Jessica got a pedicure for $8!
-Lexi, Jessica, and I went out to Club Oh! on Friday night. We had to pay a ten dollar cover, but they had an open bar. So obviously we were really well behaved and didn't dance on stage or anything. Also, there was an intense drag show.

Saturday:
-I went to the produce market with Mildred and Mare, her second oldest daughter. SO many luscious/bizarre fruits and veggies! Such a variety, and decent prices. Like 3 pineapples or 4 boxes of strawberries for $2. We filled up a whole grocery cart with JUST produce. I couldn't believe it.
-We also went to the pool. So nice :)


Farmer's Market


Our cart...all fruit and veggies!


Drinking from coconuts with Mildred. Refreshing!


Lettuce head.

I didn't do too much the rest of the weekend. San José is kinda dead on Sundays.

Last night, I went out to "La calle," this street near the University of Costa Rica that is basically a long strip of bars for the college crowd. Jessica's housemate Kelly's boyfriend is in town, so the four of us went for drinks. I can't remember what the place was called, but they serve flavored beers. I had "the torero"....a light beer with cherries and cherry flavored syrup. It's an odd concept, but it was tasty. They also have "the godzilla" (green beer with salt), as well as orange, grape, or bloody-mary flavored beers. Good times :)

2 comments:

Mama Larky said...

We woke up to snow this morning, so it's funny to see you in a tank top and shorts. Cute pictures...have you tried the chicken feet yet? Ha Ha!
Luvs, Mom
P.S. Check your wwu e-mail.

Mikey Larky said...

Brrr, so glad I am not in the land of snow! And no I will NEVER eat those. However, the day after spotting these, we found them sitting in a pan at Jessica's house....her mom made soup with them! Love you