Saturday, February 5, 2011

Febuary IV

You see how I did that? You're wondering, "Hmmm does the IV stand for 4th or IntraVenous?" Answer: Both!

Yesterday morning I was sitting in class waiting to give a presentation when I got hit by this intense feeling of nausea and pain in my stomach. I wasn't nervous/unprepared/hungover or anything else, so it really freaked me out. I came home to rest for the day, but I had no appetite. Everything I tried to nibble on made me feel nauseous. My mama Tica called ISA (my program) and the director convinced me that I should go to a doctor. I wasn't sure if that was necessary, but she made a good point that it would be hard to get in anywhere until Monday, so if it got worse I would be really out of luck.

I met up with Andrea (my favorite ISA person) and we took a taxi to the doctor. And by doctor, I mean private hospital. And by private hospital, I mean the emergency room. Seems a little excessive, no? She reassured me that it's just called the emergency place, but you can go there for anything. (Culture note: Andrea said that there is also a public health clinic, but she would only go there if "it was the only option or I didn't have any money that month"....interesting.) At the hospital, most of the doctors and nurses spoke English, which was nice. A doctor did all the regular checks (pulse, etc.) and told me that I was really dehydrated and probably had a stomach virus.

Next thing I know, I was being hooked up to an IV. It seems traumatic, especially since I've never been on one of those before, but it didn't feel like a big deal. They also added some medicines that would "protect my stomach." One thing, though: the fluid in the IV was freezing cold! It literally felt like my right arm was being infused with ice water. Maybe they're always that cold, I don't know. Anyway, I had to sit there for about an hour and a half and Andrea was so nice to stay with me the whole time. I felt better right away, but they told me to go to a pharmacy for some prescriptions. Sooo I'm on the road to recovery and taking it easy this weekend. No clubbing for me, but that's okay.

PS: I watched "Tangled" last night with my family. Super cute movie! Jamie, if Jilly hasn't seen it, y'all should watch it.

2 comments:

Mama Larky said...

Hi Michael,
Hope you are feeling better. I didn't know you had such an ordeal on Friday! I am so glad your Mama Tico and Andrea were there to help you. Call us soon.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot I typed you this huge comment the other day...then the kids were whining at me and I lost it! I am glad you are doing okay now. And yes, Tangled was Jilly's first movie at the theatre and now Rapunzel is her BFF. You may notice in my FB profile pic, she even comes to the zoo with us!
James