Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mikey "Cookie" Larkin

Okay, I admit, I have been very inattentive to my blog lately. It's unfortunate, not only because I want to share my stories with family and friends, but also because I want to record all my memories from this amazing experience. So here's to hoping that I'll write at least every other day.

In academic news, I finished my advanced grammar class on Friday. This Tuesday I started my new class: advanced conversation! I was a little intimidated, but the professor is so awesome, I love him (almost literally) and our class is great. I'm the only guy besides the professor, Ronulfo. Yes, that's his name. We're going to be doing a lot of interactive and investigative activities, which are definitely beneficial...and fun. It's also really helpful to take all these different Spanish classes because the instructors are native speakers, unlike many professors in the States. It allows you to learn the material in a different way. It also gives me lots of ideas for my future classroom :)

Not too much else is going on right now. I went to the cinema tonight with my host siblings, because they have a 2 for 1 deal on Wednesday nights. The theater is at a really nice mall (danger, danger!). Apparently only "pipis" shop there. I think that means snobs, because my host sisters always demonstrate the word with their noses upturned and a little wrist flick. They decided that I'm a pipi since I said I like most of those stores. My family has also given me a nickname: Cookie (pronounced: KOOO-key.) WHY? Well, apparently "cookie" is a neologism adopted from English meaning "cool." I thought it was so hilarious when they used it as a serious term to describe clothes or movies or whatever. So now my name is Cookie, and I hear it about 600 times a day.

No comments: