Friday, December 20, 2013

The Basque Country


Merry Christmas everyone! I'm just finishing packing for Morocco, jamming to the Beyoncé album (which is SO good), and thought I'd post some pictures from earlier this month. About two weeks ago, we had a 4-day weekend, so I traveled to Bilbao with some other auxiliars. We ate tons of pintxos, visited the Guggenheim, and also made a day trip to the gorgeous city of San Sebastián. Here's a look:


The river in Bilbao


Pintxos: small foods (usually on bread) that you order with a drink. In Bilbao, they are very popular and displayed quite nicely. 


A variety of pintxos


This one has bread with sun-dried tomato, cheese, membrillo (like a crab apple jelly), cranberries and balsamic drizzle.


Coffee near our hostel in the old town.


The famous puppy outside the Guggeheim. It's made of living flowers.


Pintxos at a holiday food fair. I'm eating a mushroom stuffed with bonito (fish) and smothered in alioli and balsamic. SO good.


Behind the Guggenheim


(Sam, I think this statue was the inspiration for bucky balls.)


Being totes Basque in San Sebastián...or should I say Donostia? 


A view of the bay. Our weather was perfect.



Eating an amazing apple cream tart on the beach. 


"Merry Christmas"


I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday! Don't miss me too much at home :) Like I said, I am headed to Morocco on Monday (via Madrid) and am looking forward to it! Our intinerary is Ouarzazete-Tinerhir-Fez-Marrakech-Rabat, if anyone is interested, though you will of course see pictures in a couple weeks. I'll be back in Spain on the 5th of January, so don't worry if you don't hear from me until then. Okay everyone, stay happy, safe, and warm. Love you alll!!!


No comments: