Monday, March 21, 2011

Rafting el Pacuare

Sorry for the delayed posting! These last few weeks have been filled with so much to see and do, so I've been pretty lazy with this blog. I still have to share all the pictures from my visit to the coffee plantation and my weekend in Puerto Viejo. First, though, I wanted to tell y'all about my rafting adventure!

So a few weeks ago, when Jessica's sister was here, we tried to go rafting. We woke up at 6 AM and waited for over an hour, but the tour company never picked us up. Since we booked the trip through our study abroad program, we talked to them about it, and they were extremely apologetic. They refunded us and even gave us a free trip! So last friday, Jessica and I both got to go on a $75 rafting trip...for free!

It would be totally worth the money even if we did have to pay, because this river is gorgeous! It's called the Pacuare, located about 2 hours to the northeast of San José. National Geographic named it "one of the 5 most beautiful river trips in the world." While it was my first real rafting trip, I have to agree with them. It was a four hour trip through some amazing rocky canyons and rainforest. The Pacuare is also the perfect amount of excitement for me; a few class IV rapids, but mostly smoother stuff, which allowed me to absorb the wonderful scenery. They also made us breakfast before the trip and we stopped for lunch in a beautiful place next to the river.

Some of my pictures are kinda blurry because I had water on the lens. I'm so glad I have a waterproof camera!

PS Nobody (in our raft) fell out in the rapids!


In my rafting gear


Rainforest :)




Waterfall!



Taking a swim (with Jessica)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm officially jealous of your trip! I knew they had some great whitewater there. Looks gorgeous! Glad you got to go!-DAD

Mikey Larky said...

Yeah, if you guys ever get to visit, you have to do it!